Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Sacred Tree: Potential

I was most struck by the value of potential in this weeks reading, The Sacred Tree. I am now a senior in college and looking back over the last four years of my life I am astounded by how often I underestimated my own potential. I can think of many papers, exams, and especially creative opportunities in which I sold my self short of the potential I now recognize in myself.
I have always said that I lack creativity. I love literature (a good thing considering that it is my major) and I love the connection that I feel when I read powerful and meaningful writings. But I have never written anything for myself. To this day I say, "I am a terrible writer. I am planning to be behind the scenes as an editor." Now, this is TRULY what I want to do with my life, I did not choose to be an editor simply because I don't believe in my potential. However, that does not mean that I do not have the ability to write well. I simply have not put enough effort into developing my own potential. I may never be a famous author or even publish a small article, but I am certainly capable of writing for myself. Oh fear, how often I allow it to cripple me!
I was very touched by the values in The Sacred Tree. After reading this short book, I intend to integrate both activeness and potentiality into my personal life. I strongly desire to end the cycle of self-doubt and fear and I intend to take steps to do so.
Now, I just have to figure out how to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment