Monday, January 30, 2012

American Indian Astrology


Though we have not discussed astrology in class, I could not resist the urge to explore American Indian Astrology in my blog. I am well aware of all the arguments that disprove the validity of astrology, but it is still a fascinating cultural aspect to study.

In American Indian astrology (just as in the traditional astrology one can find in the newspaper), there are twelve signs of the Zodiac. The signs are represented by realistic animals such as the otter, wolf, falcon, beaver, deer, woodpecker, salmon, bear, crow, snake, owl, and goose. This is slightly different than the Zodiac most are familiar with in that each sign is based on an animal instead of an object (such as Libra's scales). An individual's sign is based on his or her date of birth and represents a set of personality characteristics or tendencies. In American Indian astrology, the animal associated with your birth date also corresponds with the natural spirit guide that is with the individual throughout his or her life. The animal assigned as one's spirit guide is intended to impart the wisdom and experience they have acquired over many years to the individual based upon the positive and negative characteristics of their zodiac. For example, my sign is the goose. As a goose, I am hardworking, motivated, and goal oriented. However, I also tend to be unsatisfied, unsociable, and negative. The "job" of my spirit guide is to help me navigate the positive and negative characteristics of my personality to maintain a healthy, stable, communal lifestyle. 









No comments:

Post a Comment